Here we are at the end of the summer! What a journey. I’ve had the amazing opportunity to take a step back and focus entirely on my career as an author and all of the wonderful things that come with it. I figured, that since this was the end of the summer, it would be good to catalog all of the things that I accomplished and what I’ve learned. This is kind of a selfish blog post so that I can look back at the end of the year and realize how much I’ve done. School starts up today, so we’ll see how productive I’ll manage to be during the Fall!
Things I’ve learned:
- Marketing is hard. Really hard. It takes time and real effort, and I am forever astonished by anyone who manages to do it successfully. Granted, all my knowledge on the subject comes from the internet and my own research. Maybe taking a class would make me more of an expert.
- Every social media is different. That means that you need different strategies for each one.
- Self-discipline is one of my most precious commodities. I need more of it.
- Take it one day at a time. Sometimes, take it one hour at a time.
- Sleep is not to be taken for granted. Even if you have all the time in the world, staying up late is like murdering your productivity for the next day.
- If you are confident, more people will believe in you.
Things I’ve accomplished:
- I have a website! Although that is less my accomplishment and more my brother’s. Thanks, Alex!
- I outlined one of my WIPs and it has made all the difference.
- I’ve found several new mentors and built up relationships.
- I’ve semi-figured out the marketing thing. At least I have a spreadsheet! And I’ve planned out my blog posts for the rest of the year.
- I had a single post on twitter that had over 7,000 natural impressions. That might not be impressive to everyone, but that is majorly big for me.
- I started an email list. Everyone on it is family at the moment, but hey, you’ve got to start somewhere! (If you want exclusive updates, you should totally sign up.)
- I wrote almost every day! And a rough estimate of the word count (including all my projects and blog posts) comes to: 50,560!
- I finished a whole bunch of concept art! (Speaking of exclusive updates, my email list will have access to said concept art early).
- I picked up an illustration commission! And an editing commission!
- I built a sound booth with my mom and have been working on recording audiobooks.
- I now have 72 followers on Twitter and 57 followers on Facebook!
Yeah, this is kind of a self-indulgent post. But I’m proud of what I’ve achieved. Some days it felt like I didn’t get anything done, but looking back, it feels like I did so much. Thanks for coming along with me on this crazy journey. Let’s hope that the next few months are even better.